Friday, August 31, 2007

Artextile

In Melbourne, we are lucky enough to have a fabric shop that imports European designer fabrics. The fabrics are excess fabrics ordered by the designers. The purchaser goes to Europe (mainly Italy) to purchase these directly from the mills. And today was the final day of their winter sale - all fabric 50% off!! So what previously cost up to $75 a metre is now more affordable.

The only thing I have bought previously at Artextile was a Brione lining that I used for my green jacket. Oh how I have coveted the fine wools, silks and linens! But now I am the proud owner of 2 metres of a beautiful Versace wool/metal fabric. The metal gives it a crisper feel than just the wool. I also bought a gorgeous two faced wool - charcoal on one side and brown on the other. And a couple of skirt lengths - green and purple - oh so soft! Absolutely beautiful. And a couple of linings as well. Lucky me! (The linings are not in the photo)
I worked only briefly on my Vogue skirt today. I took the side seams in to reduce the curve in the hip.
I think I will put it aside for the weekend to start on my new project - a jumper/pinafore. I want this finished by Monday, so I will give it priority! I will be using the Vogue dress pattern but exclude the sleeves. I may need to scoop out the armhole to give me more room. We'll see.

I have finished for tonight as I have a glass of bubbly and well....sewing and bubbly do not mix!

4 comments:

Summerset said...

Lucky you! What gorgeous fabrics!

Anonymous said...

What fun Vicki !! You did well and 50% off.
I remember Artextile fondly from PR Weekend DownUnder 2007.

Kitty Couture said...

Great fabrics, Vicki! I love your new project too. And I couldn't agree more - bubbly and sewing don't agree with me either. :)

Anonymous said...

love the fabrics and the vogue dress pattern looks good too - I might have to sopy you as I like the style
Skye