Sunday, August 10, 2008

What I bought - suit 2

The second suit I bought from Cour Carre (at 70 - 80% off) was a Gay Giano suit:


This one reminds me of Burda WOF for all its unusual lines.

In this close up you can see the unusual seaming. The curved seam goes across the back as well, which you may be able to see in the back shot above. Not easy as the matching of plaid is perfect.




The skirt has unusual seaming too and a button fly front opening.

I found the Gay Giano website and it says its customers are "trendy customers, celebrities and artists." !! The Cour Carre customer is the modern professional and business executive.

Birgitte asked on my last post "I'm also SO intrigued by the three piece sleeve, and think the stars have aligned: I"m just starting on a Chanel-inspired jacket. Do you think this is the 'famous' sleeve and vent referred to in the Threads article? If so, could you be super duper kind and show the underside of the sleeve, pretty pretty please!!! " And yes I think it is! I just had a look at a Claire Shaefer pattern with the three piece sleeve and it looks the same. The seam up the middle matches the shoulder and there are two seams under the arm. Here is a picture of the sleeve up:

16 comments:

Birgitte said...

Thank you so much Vicky!

And I agree that the second suit lines are very much like BWOF. Super flattering on you, btw.

The skirt had me smile- I'm planning a fly front closure, using a BWOF pants pattern, altered to skirt.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Great suits Vicki! Thanks for showing us. I love all the details on both jackets. The matching of the plaid is super professional too, especially when the skirt and jacket match from the back.

Unknown said...

Thanks for showing so many details of this wonderful suit. I especially liked seeing what they did on the back of the jacket. It fits you so well - I'm glad you could get it at a great price too.

lynny said...

Hi Vicki, missing you on PR so taking a peek at your blog. Good time to look! Your suits look great, they fit so well and the detailing on the jackets is so good. lynny

Ann Made Studio said...

The line detailing on your suit looks great, and it fits perfect, (both suits look great). Very nice purchases :)

Marji said...

Your suits are fabulous...as are the shoes! ;)
Your shopping trip appears to have been v successful, and I'm glad to hear that you had a good time.

Audrey said...

Both suits look great on you. I agree the seaming of the plaid suit is like some of the BWOF jackets. And the matching plaids with that seaming is really impressive. I was glad to read that someone else buys garments in a size that is too large, with the intention of altering or cutting them down to fit. And of course alterations are my least favorite sewing.

Sigrid said...

The lines on this jacket are really bwof-like. I'm just a little envious of you to be able to buy such great suits that fit you without change! They're great and fit very well.

Tany said...

This suit was a great buy, since it's a classic design, has beautiful lines and details and it fits you perfectly! I love it!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Vicki .- very interesting details of this suit. this style of construction is very significant in the clothing designers like Vivienne Westwood or Geoffrey Beene. He made you a good buy and with a good discount. congratulations. Hugs and see you soon.

Linda L said...

Love the suit! I really like the lines in the jacket and it does remind me of Burda patterns.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Vicki, I gave you an award on my blog. I know you are really busy so don't feel any obliguation. I'd rather see you sewing. :)

Oz Idol tonight! I've really missed it this week although I did get some sewing done instead which was nice. I hope you find some time to sew at some point. Working full time is the pits!

Take care!

Birgitte said...

Like Belinda, I'm passing on blog awards to you, but don't feel any need to actively participate. I just wanted to recognize you.

Diana said...

Vicky, You left a comment on my blog and I thank youfor the nice words. Ilove visiting the blogs of anyone who visits mine .
I love your two suits. they are glorious. When I was young and still teaching (Now i'm 60 and happily retired) I use to buy a lot of my clothes and suits were my passion.
I'm sure as you get older (yuck!)and your life gets less busy , you will sew, sew , sew.Diana

a little sewing said...

Hello Vicki- just popping around the world to say Hi. You haven't been blogging much lately, I hope all is well! I mentioned you in my post today as one of my favorite blogs. Happy Sewing!

Ann Made Studio said...

Hi Vicki,
Just stopping in to say Hi :)