Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sofie's bed head

Quite awhile ago, Sofie and I bought some quilting cottons in green and pink to decorate her room. First project was to make an upholstered headboard. After much research (thank God for the Internet) we decided to have a go.


First, Sofie decided on a design. Then we traced a curve on some Burda tracing paper. From there we traced onto the board. We recycled an old desk we had in our previous house but have no use for in the new one.
Next job was to cut out the shape with the jigsaw.




We took the paper template to Clarke Rubber and have them cut out some low density foam (about 4cm thick) to fit the bed head. They also sold wadding which saved us a trip to the fabric store.

The foam was glued to the board and the wadding wrapped around and stapled down. The fabric was then stapled being careful to make sure it was nice and lined up.



We used "hooks and eyes" to attached the head to the wall. More scary power tools! We put the eye pieces on the wall and put the hooks into the back of the head. Here you can see the back is not so pretty, but hopefully this side will never be seen.


Et voila!

All styled up. Next project will be a duvet cover and some matching pillow slips I think. We also plan to recover a stool and make a runner for her chest of drawers.

Unfortunately the fabric was not wide enough and I had to seam pieces on the sides. This was the most time consuming part of the whole project. To make sure that the pattern matched up I used Summerset's way of basting from the front before machine stitching from the back. Works like a charm - can't see the seam can you?


From this angle you can see the width of the head board. Also you can see that the messy back can't be seen.

Not bad, if I do say so myself!

26 comments:

MareeAlison said...

Very gorgeous. I love green and pink together.

a little sewing said...

Hey that looks great! Kudos for tackling a project requiring scary power tools :)

Lori said...

Fantastic project, the colors are beautiful. You two did an amazing job on the headboard.

Vicki W said...

Looks like it's right out of a magazine! Well done!

Ann Made Studio said...

It looks so pretty....looks like a picture out of a magazine! You did such a great job!

Debbie Cook said...

Very noice. ;-) Seriously, it looks wonderful. Well done!

Audrey said...

The headboard looks great. No clue there is a seam in the fabric. I like the chandelier too. The room does look like a picture in a magazine. Looking forward to seeing the duvet cover.

Mariela Alethia said...

Beautifulllll!

Sharon said...

Stunning, a great job.

Mel.J said...

WOW, that turned out perfectly!

AllisonC said...

Very impressive, as is your collection of power tools! I remember last time I was in Oz having to endure endless annoying Clarke Rubber adverts on the car radio so its good to know it is a useful shop after all!

Serwingelle said...

wow that looks great! well done!

Summerset said...

Oh, that looks so chic and fun! Well done and smart for reusing that desk.

Anne-Marie said...

What a great project ! The recycled wood is such a great idea !!! The final product is absolutely gorgeous.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a great job and a fabu room! You guys could have your own TV show doing bedroom makeovers - cause that is one awesome picture of you working the jigsaw!

Diana said...

A beautiful job and room. Lucky girl to have sucha handy Mom!No way I'd tackle a power tool.

mem said...

That looks great . I am very impressed with jigsaw use . Have you alot of experience?? Next time you are in Bridge Road drop in at 122 where my friend Chelo is liquidating a wonderful assortment of fabrics which are really top draw stuff at very good prices.She ran her own business there for many years before retiring . She has some really beautiful woll boucle, siland lines too.
I will definitely be using this post for the next attempt at an upholstered bed head. Reagrs Mem

Janine said...

Looks fantastic - very professional.

Kitty Couture said...

Amazing job!! I love that you made it together.

Nancy Winningham said...

Ho pretty this is! A big project, but so worth it. I'm sure your daughter loves it.

Carolyn said...

It looks so beautiful, very professional and I love the colours!
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog...

for the love of a house said...

wow, I'm super impressed! It looks great and I love the fabric. How fun that you did it together!

thank you for your sweet comment! I swear I'm going to give a badge to all you wonderful/crazy people who read from the beginning:) thanks so much!!

joan

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

Beautiful job, Vickie. You're a woman of many talents. Love the color scheme, so fresh-looking.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the fabric!!!! You gave me the idea to do mine!!! My room is pink and green and I haven't done the bed head because I didn't know what colour to use...
Now I know!!! Thank You!!!
Helena Alves (Portugal)

theperfectnose said...

Fabulous! Its so cool that you guys put the hwole thing together yourselves! Great job!

theperfectnose said...

*whole. Exitement kills my typing ability...